Sunday 6 March 2011

CATURDAY: UPDATE

1. 
The cat died some time this afternoon. L phoned me just after four and was very distraught. She asked me if I'd collect the cat and I did.

The poor thing was stretched out beside the cat carrier I'd left and was rigid with rigor mortis. I wrapped it up in a couple of towels and placed it in the back of the van. I had a few words with L, telling her that she'd done everything she could for the cat and that she had nothing to blame herself for. Which is no less than the truth

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can say the same for myself. While I don't doubt for a minute that had I taken it to the emergency vets at Felling they would have put it to sleep straight away which at least would have ended its suffering. Did I think that because it reacted so quickly to my picking it up that it was less injured than it really was. Or was I using that as an excuse not to spend over £200 (which is what it would almost certainly have cost) of Animal Krackers' money on a cat which I honestly (?) thought might just be in a state of shock? To be fair to myself, I was in a bit of a state of shock after the clawing I'd just received and the swelling is only now starting to go down over 30 hours later.

I don't know, I just think that maybe I could have done more and that a cat suffered more than it should have done because of me.

I've since learned a couple of things which would have changed matters. Apparently the RSPCA is bound to collect an injured animal. L could have phoned them yesterday morning but then neither she nor I knew that. I've also learned of a vets at Durham which is open Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning as part of their normal hours.

At least I've learned something.

2.
I've found my camera.

No comments: